20 March 2010

Let me tell you 'bout Leo Parker

It's been a long time since I wrote about jazz music the last time. I've already reviewed my 5 favorite jazz records and wanted to leave it like that for a while to focus on my another real love: 20s and 30s barrelhouse blues :) I still can't do it, though. I just love exploring new artists ;-) I've had two released by Blue Note Records albums of Leo Parker for quite a long time but I haven't paid them any mind until today when I luckily and totally by accident put them on.

They are bloody brilliant! :) Everybody compliments Leo Parker for his fat, full tone... He's an outstanding saxophone player and really stands out of line: he's easily and instantly recognizable. Leo Parker played with the best musicians in the business for years and finally got to record his own Blue Note LP in 1961. Unfortunately he died after recording two brilliant sessions. One was released in 1961 as "Let Me Tell You 'Bout It", and the second during the 80s as "Rollin' With Leo". They sound basically the same and there's no need to review any of them separately.


I tend to like the first one better, but professional critics rate "Rollin' With Leo" a little bit higher. It doesn't matter, really. Telling you that a few of his tunes remind me of Sonny Rollins work would be a lie. But you can find the same happiness and optimism in the works of both masters. When I hear "Talkin' the Blues" I think about big city blinking at night. On the other hand centerpiece of "Let Me Tell You 'Bout It", the self-titled track, is reminiscent of New Orleans big bands... That's just a loose thought ;-)

Uplifting music for your body and soul and enormous joy for me. I would really love to be stuck in a small club with Leo Parker and his band, doing coke together and playing bebop.

No comments:

Post a Comment