09 August 2010

Marc Ford - Fuzz Machine

Finally I got my hands on new Marc Ford album called Fuzz Machine. Well, I kinda like it. Ford is a talented white blues guitarist, weak singer and composer, but somehow he manages to put out really good solo albums (he got kicked out from the Black Crowes for drug use), like his 2008 Marc Ford & the Neptune Blues Club (with some Chuck Berry-esque rockers, "white blues" stuff and a very nice ballad, "Keep Holdin' On", not to mention "Main Drain" and "Shame On Me").


I'm a great fan of natural guitar sound, clear and undistorted, so I didn't like the title, but there's not much of that on the album. Ford nicely combines the styles of Clapton and Hendrix into his own, maybe reminding me a little of Ronnie Wood, but with many more boring instrumental passages.

I'm after one listen only, and have to say - it's usual good stuff Ford plays and a good contemporary blues album. With really, really decent production. I hoped for a hint of "Beck's Bolero" in "Bolero In Red" but that was totally different track. "You're the One" seems to be my favorite from Fuzz Machine for now but it's likely to change, it's a very consistent album. Maybe just one or two ballads too many...

No comments:

Post a Comment