02 January 2010

It Might Get Loud

"It Might Get Loud" by Davis Guggenheim is a film about electric guitar. Or, in other words, a complete disaster. Three famous guitarists (the Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White) gather to talk and play a little. It got pretty good reviews from professional critics (70 on MetaCritic and 78% on RottenTomatoes) but the movie bore the hell out of me. Now come on, I hate U2/the Edge (and anyone who calls himself like that) and Jimmy Page is a nice guy, sure, but my dishwasher has more interesting stories to tell. Those guys gather in a room and have totally nothing to say to each other! And it could really be a marvellous movie.


Page played stunning things in 1973 and made Led Zeppelin the 2nd greatest blues-rock band in the world. But he's so boring, really... Fortunately, they've shown some archival footage of him playing skiffle and it was priceless. On the other hand, you can see that on YouTube. Another nice clip was Jimmy playing his favorite records on a gramophone and playing air guitar, but it seemed awfully staged and far from natural anyway. I can't even comment on the Edge.

However, that's enough of complaining, because Jack White stood up to the task. And I don't adore any of his bands that much. And he's got weird style of playing. Anyway... I totally fell in love with his attitude. A magnificent opposite of that guy from U2. Tradition blah blah blues blah blah hard work ;) He even played Son House and called "Grinnin' In Your Face" his favorite record. And it was plain to see he was really enjoying playing and life in general. Nice to see.

Don't waste your time, folks.

1 comment:

  1. Re:
    hey, I've got a request. do you have solo piano album of Jaki Byard called "Blues for Smoke"?

    Hi
    I find it here
    http://nnm.ru/blogs/beleu/jaki_byard_blues_for_smoke/
    but I dont know how to DL - let me know if you DL'it
    greetings from Portugal

    ReplyDelete