17 January 2010

VA - Chicago Blues: A Living History

"Chicago Blues: A Living History" is released in 2009 newly recorded tribute album to Chicago blues and its greats. Local performers (Billy Boy Arnold, John Primer, Billy Branch and Lurrie Bell) took part and gave us fine two discs of modern takes on 50s and 60s classics. Covered are Muddy Waters, Big Bill Broonzy, Jimmy Reed, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker et cetera.


I like the disc, it sounds modern yet it's still traditional brand of blues we all know so well. "Can't Stand to See You Go" is my favorite track, or at least one of the best 'cause it's very hard to choose, and it's performed almost exactly the way it was played by Jimmy Reed decades ago. It lacks magic of those times - it's not overproduced, but it does not sound as warm as it could. "Chicago Blues" is a very fine effort but I guess I won't be putting it on too often.

This album surely got me interested in contemporary Chicago blues musicians: John Primer played some mean slide guitar on "Feel Like Going Home", Billy Boy Arnold surprised me with "Memphis Slim, USA" :), Billy Branch rocked the place with "One More Mike" and Lurrie Bell kind of let me down with his three songs, of which the best was "I Believe" in the vein of Hound Dog Taylor.

If you live in Chicago or are particularly interested in Chicago blues, get this because it's worth 18 bucks on Amazon. :) Y'all can also see a special Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment