28 June 2010

Duke Ellington - Ellington at Newport 1956

I haven't written about jazz in a long time but it certainly doesn't mean I stopped listening to it. The thing is, I got myself a two CD release of Duke Ellington's At Newport set from 1956 and since some time couldn't listen to anything else. This is the perfect album, so perfect it's impossible to describe, analyzing it seems like an insult to the Duke. And the man wasn't even satisfied with the results!


No doubt it's the greatest jazz live album ever released. I've listened to "Diminuendo In Blue and Crescendo In Blue" countless times and still haven't got enough. And I'm even not a fan of big band jazz! It's inspiring, awesome, stunning, original, blindingly amazing. This is the jazz album to get to start your collection.

Original LP with only five tracks - three parts of "Newport Jazz Festival Suite" on side A and "Jeep's Blues" and "Diminuendo... and Crescendo In Blue" - is the one to get for jazz newbies, everybody else will have glorious time listening to the expanded version.

2 comments:

  1. Dancing with Mr. DeeJune 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM

    There are lots of great jazz live albums released. Best wishes in discovering them, looks like you still have a long long long way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. name a better one! indeed jazz the best is live, but this album is totally something else - an experience, not just music.
    I can see myself spending another ten years listening to jazz and hailing this album just the same.

    ReplyDelete