27 June 2010

Gary Moore sucks

Yeah, I'm lost in the past. There are still quite many good blues albums getting released every year, but nothing great. Production most often is thick, thin, plastic, fake, cold, uninteresting. Not warm and strong like in the Chess years. It's not aggresive at all! Apart from that, lyrics usually suck - when those guys in the 50s sung "I hope some schoolboy start a fight", they really had this on their minds. Now modern blues artists have no guts. And Eric Clapton, who himself is a very fine guitarist, started a trend of playing long, wailing solos, and telling everybody around it's really heartbreaking. No, it's not.

The essence of the blues being down in a hole is Gary Moore. A very popular blues-rock mainstream artist whose concerts really draw attention of the usually-not-going-anywhere crowd. He started his career in the very late 60s and since then played, most notably, with Thin Lizzy. And released 20-something solo albums that are all the same, and all suck. His most important work is 1990's Still Got the Blues LP (the only one similar thing that seems to be worse is Roy Buchanan's pop/blues hit from the same time). A very popular blues-rock album. A very white one.

I downloaded his last album from 2008 called "Bad for You Baby". A tough title, isn't it? I listen and listen and it's not totally unacceptable - I even enjoy some of the songs. Vocals are bad, guitar sound is bad. 10-minute-long tracks are bad. Shredding on a blues album is unforgivable, so amazingly bad it makes me almost quit listening to it. But in overall, I really enjoy moments. But I just love what Ginger Baker said about Gary, and I generally love his bitter comments. :)

Gary Moore, Roy Buchanan, sometimes Clapton sucked hard in their prime, glory days, and now guys like Joe Bonamassa followed in the same style. What's wrong with these people?

Gary Moore is just an imitation of the real blues. He's playing great blues without the feeling. :)

8 comments:

  1. Again someone retarded who wants to look cool and show that understands a lot in blues music started to shit around Moore. The only thing that sucks here is your so called "review" and that gay complaints of Baker. I wonder why I have never even seen or heard such things from Moore, it's obvious who is busy with music, not shitting around his mates.

    And about Buchanan, he's not even a totally blues musician, firstly he's a guitarist, and one of most genius ones, with his own outstanding style that noone else has ever got or is able to copy, who has influenced and been a sort of teacher for so many other great musicians. One should be really retarded to tell such things about such a great musician. RIP legend, it's even ridiculous for me as a fan to feel hurt for Buchanan because of this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. de gustibus non est disputandum ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to add SRV to the list... man he sucked much much more than Mr.Buchanan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit strange to see Buchanan's name in that list. First, he is indeed not a 100% bluesman, but then, he's one of the few white musicians normally adored by black blues lovers (even by radical ones), judging on my experience. I do not know about your blues listening experience though. Are you a beginner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. indeed I don't fancy SRV almost at all - but he was important. he gave the blues world a kick it needed.

    what makes me a beginner? I've listening to the blues for quite some time, enough to have my own judgement... don't see myself as a beginner then... but I'm sure there are more experienced listeners - I'm always ready to hear their opinions! on the other hand, I've got the passion :P

    the comment about Buchanan can be right, actually - I haven't heard too many of his albums, just two that I didn't like. I'll check him out a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, SRV was alrightm, I don't rate him highly, but Gary Moore's a discgrace, at least SRV could sing, GM can't even order a beer convincingly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with this guy 100% gary moore sucks su bad he is one of the reasons people hate playing guitar solos today... he always looks so into it on stage making faces , but what he is into is total SHIT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. +1000. I cannot fathom how anyone, especially any mildly proficient rock guitarist can listen to GM for more than 5 minutes. It's the same shit over and over and over. I usually stick around I understand for a few "look at me" faces......

    ReplyDelete