18 May 2010

Duane Allman interview

I've been into Allman Brothers band very much lately, listening to their live jams all day. I'm not a big fan of their two first studio albums that lack much of the intensity of adventurous concerts. Many times live performances surpass studio recordings and this is the case with the Allman Brothers Band: most compositions have their best renditions on At Fillmore East or any other of early Allman's live LPs.

What the band does with the material is so unreal x) Every time I listen to "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" or "Whipping Post" I can hear something new. Their jams go beyond imagination, way beyond the things played by the Grateful Dead or any other popular jam band of the time. It's blues and jazz at its best and the interplay between two guitars is priceless. The biggest star of the Allman Brothers Band, the one that made them shine above most of the other live acts of the day was of course Duane Allman.


From charming acoustic "Little Martha" to wild bluesy "You Don't Love Me" live in '71... This guy can't be beat and he's white. I mean, I get so lost in his imaginative and tricky guitar playing that I can spend more time analyzing it than Dylan's lyrics.

Click here to hear Duane's interview from 1970. 24MB and 22 minutes of Duane mumbling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment