03 April 2010

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

I was just going to put on some good old rock and roll and listen to Keith play on 1981 the Rolling Stones' tour - if you ignore Mick's outfit it's great. I can't explain how I ended up listening to Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells". It was a love at first sight.

The strangest thing is that I should hate it. It's a wonder which one I can't stand more - classical music or new age? With a rock and roll heart it's hard to listen to progressive 25-minute-long instrumental compositions... Okay, I used to like "Atom Heart Mother" by Pink Floyd. And there are many nice jazz compositions that are as long and complicated as "Tubular Bells". But I've become open-minded and that was something I had never heard.

If God likes music, this is probably his favorite LP.


Imagine a scene... Gates of heaven, lots of instruments inside... You get in with a bottle of Jack and a cigarette and try them all while "Tubular Bells Part I" is playing... God's voice introduces the instruments, you're dead but you just don't care. It's my heaven and paradise :) "Two slightly distorted guitars"... Oh come on. It's pure greatness.

I still hate that kind of music. I wouldn't like to play it myself but I guess I'll try it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment