27 April 2010

The Black Keys - Brothers

They sound worn-out. Tired & forced. Songs are the same as always, but there's less driving guitar and more tricky synths. I wanted to like it but simply couldn't. I get tired listening to this music too long. There's no happiness or joy of playing and keeping the groove, not much more of the blues - it's strictly business.

If only they were more catchy, more freewheeling and eager to play rock and roll or just faster songs... On the other hand - the duo's brutal and raw concept takes effect. This is outstanding in a way - you rarely hear things like that on the radio. It's much worse than previous Black Keys' albums, though. But still - this is not the kind of music I'd like to listen to when I'm stoned and out of my mind. Makes me nervous.


Oh, well... The best cover art I've seen in ages.

Standout tracks: "Ten Cent Pistol", "Sinister Kid" (it should've been turned into something really great!), "Unknown Brother".

On a final note - I'm really curious what marks it's going to get from professional critics. Pitchfork - the most alternative and indie of 'em all - is of course gonna hail it and praise it, but what about the rest... I couldn't care less about the record but I still can't figure out how come it doesn't move me while it really should. I'm impatiently waiting for Allmusic to note that it's unlistenable shit - which Brothers isn't, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment