23 April 2010

Ten Years After - Ssssh

I haven't ever heard a great studio album by Ten Years After. A tremendous live act with one of the most interesting guitarists of the British blues scene, and most probably the fastest :) And it's not like Alvin Lee had no songwriting skills - maybe his songs weren't the best, but quite original at least. So, what's with Ten Years After?

No idea. "Ssssh" is badly produced and badly written, but it has its groove and I really like it, though most of the times I put it on I'm not able to sit it through all 8 tracks ;) Jim Newson wrote in amusing review for AllMusic:

Featured is a lengthy cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl," with reworked lyrics leaving little doubt as to what the singer had in mind for the title character. Also included was a 12-bar blues song with the ultimate generic blues title "I Woke Up This Morning.

Ha ha. Anyway... No favorite tracks that I can pick, no favorite moments, it all kinda flows... But it's well worth a listen. Ten Years After was a fascinating band, not one-hit-wonder act (yeah, I don't like "I'm Going Home" that much). And "Ssssh" is not one of the key works of the (in)famous 1969 year, but the band deserved playing Woodstock.


PS. It's only 33 minutes long so don't hesitate.
PPS. "Good Morning Little School Girl" has to be my least favorite blues standard. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment