15 April 2010

The Rolling Stones Plundered My Soul (again)

After many days of waiting I'm speechless. PMS :-) ("Plundered My Soul") hasn't been even released yet but it's here, safe on my hard disc. 9MB of joy, sweet 320kbps quality and french radio DJ's voice in fading somewhere in the end... Not official, not in a great packaging with lyrics and credits, but - in all of its awesomeness & greatness - now it's mine and only mine ;)

It's glorious, proud & sexy. Slow, groovy... An obvious and instant winner that missed it's time by decades. PMS probably isn't going to be played by mainstream radio stations, nor will it attract the attention of the crowds. A shame, but I don't care as now I get lost listening to it a 237th time ;-)

The single was kicked off a special, deluxe treatment of the classic album, by many fans rated as the best ever, called "Exile On Main Street". Famously recorded in Keith Richards' villa in south France, now it comes with a deluxe disc of outtakes and alternate takes. It's hard to imagine my state after first hearing of it - now I'm only familiar with one song ;)

So, it was recorded as an instrumental sometime in 1971. Keith Richards on a great, steady rhythm guitar reminding me of "Tumbling Dice" rhythm part. It's cachy, slow but rolling. Could have been higher in the mix, though. Then we have a kind of barrelhouse piano by Nick Hopkins... I can pay him the best tribute by saying that's "up to his standards". Rhythm section really sounds like the rest of Exile - kinda muddy & messy, and there lays its greatness. There are also recorded recently background vocals by Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle. I think they're doing great job.

Mick's vocals were recorded in the 2010 or 2009... Also the lyrics were newly written. He sounds great, but a bit out of it - a little too loud, and you can easily hear it's not the 1972 edition of Mick Jagger, but a recent one. PMS sounds catchy due to his work but I understand that not everybody might like it, and it's a shame that he dominates the song now... Don't let that trouble you though :]

I'm wondering if Mick Taylor, the great, great lead guitarist, recorded his parts in 1971 or today. I'd love to hear him reuniting with the band after so many weak days of his solo career... He plays like back in the day. Bright fills and all... He should've take a try on the solo, though.

Can't get it out of my mind :-)

"I thought you wanted my money but you plundered my soul", sings Mick. So did the Rolling Stones :]

PS. I got the song about two hours ago... So this are just my first thoughts. Of course I will write more in the future ;)

1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for the comments....best song in 15 years either way although strongly agree with your review.

    ReplyDelete